Wednesday 9 December 2015

A Rainbow Clutch in Shades of Grey





Remember that pile of fabric that I wanted to turn into a Rainbow Clutch  (that isn't a rainbow )for my Mum. Well it has been made and gifted, so now I can show it off.  Mum had picked a variety of grey fabrics from my stash, which I subsequently narrowed down to two.

The front patterned panel is an Ann Kelle fabric and the grey is a shot cotton from Spotlight.  The lining which you can see in the top photo only, is a delicate floral from Dear Stella.

The pattern is from  Anna Graham's book, Handmade Style.  She gives really clear detailed instructions for all steps of the making process.  However after a couple of attempts at installing the back zipper,  I found it easier to baste  the rear zipper before machine sewing it in.  I did find  that some of the  many layers in places made it slightly more difficult to sew.  Overall I am happy with how it turned out, and as a bonus, this is the last item on my 2015 Finish-Along - Q4 goals, to be completed.

 Happy Birthday  Mum, I hope you enjoy using it this summer.



11 comments:

  1. A really beautiful gift, I am sure it well be well used. Loved the fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it, it is really quite lovely! I use glue for basting my zippers like that... I dot it around the opening, lay down the zipper and give it a press with the iron

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have recently purchased that book but haven't made anything yet. This looks like a great place to start. The lining is very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a good reminder for me to pull this book back out and get a project or two on my to do list. Working on trying to get as many WIP's knocked out of the way so I can. A subtle and understaded finish, but lovely nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I love the grey, it is very chic indeed. I am sure that your Mum must love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks lovely. Think I lack the patience for precise sewing like this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That grey shot cotton is one of my favourite fabrics too and just perfect for your wallet! I picked up a few jeans/trouser metal zips the other day to be able to use them in projects like this:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks fantastic! I never got round to making the one for a friend in the end. Am loving admiring yours from here though! Lucky mother you have!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.