Sunday 12 April 2015

Road Trip Case










My Mum is off on her Big O.E in a few weeks.  Seven weeks travelling around Britain and Europe.
As an early Mother's Day present, I decided I wanted to make her a Roadtrip Case, to keep her ipad mini, charger cables and notebook safely together in one place when she wasn't using them.

Using  some pretty floral fabrics from Kate Spain and a perfectly co-ordinating dot print  (all from my stash I might add) I set to work.   The instructions are clear and very detailed, however, I would recommend reading the pattern two or three times before starting to make this. 

I didn't use canvas for the interior stiffening, I found  Legacy extra firm stabiliser at Spotlight and decided to use that instead.  It definitely gave it a nice firm finish and shape, and I like to think a little extra padding too.  I also decided not to use velcro (hook and loop) fastening on the pockets, instead using small elastic hair ties and some purple buttons from my stash. and I didn't split the pleated pockets into four, rather I kept it as two, so there was plenty of room for a note book and her cables.  I did consult with Mum slightly on this, and she decided she didn't want the handles on her case, so again I have just used a pretty button and elastic hair tie to keep it closed.

This was the first time I have made continuous bias binding,  and I used this tutorial to show me how.  I machine sewed the first fold of the binding, it was a little tricky around the curves and something I definitely need some practice at, then hand stitched the rest down as I would on a quilt.

Some useful tips  for me to remember should I make this again:
  • when sewing vinyl, to stop it from sticking to the sewing plate, place a piece of paper under- neath it.
  • hand baste the zip and zip bindings to the vinyl, before machine sewing it in
  • use lots of pins to hold the pocket pleats in place and I also used a few tiny stitches at the top of the pleats to hold them together.
I love how this has turned out, and hope that Mum enjoys using it on her travels.  And yes, I would make this pattern again.


9 comments:

  1. Gorgeous - I'm sure your mum will enjoy using it - this looks like a really good design, too - thanks for the link!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just lovely Julie, I love the fabrics you have used. I hope your Mum has the most wonderful time on her trip :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's lovely, great idea to use hair ties :D Safe travels to your mum x

    ReplyDelete
  4. How outstanding is this! What a clever, practical, and pretty case!!! Just fantastic and your mom is going to love it!!! Happy week you! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a lovely combination of fabrics! and very a useful case to keep everything together & safe! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. A great idea! I love the idea of keeping everything all in one place.
    How fun for your mom. It will be a great adventure. Is it her first time to Britain and Europe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a thoughtful and lovely gift Julie - your mum must be absolutely thrilled! Hope she has a wonderful time tripping around Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work Julie - your mum will love it! :-) I've used this pattern and it is amazing how versatile it is - just by changing the pockets and fabrics.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always read and very much appreciated. I will always endeavour to reply by email unless you happen to be a no-reply blogger. Thank you.